Friday, 4 May 2012

Whatever 'In Love' Means - A photography project

The photography project called "Whatever 'In Love' Means", which is a quote from Prince Charles on the day when he engaged to Princess Diana.

Love and in love, for you, might be magnificent cliché subjects, but for me, when I question, ‘What do they mean?’ I find in reality my perception is much clouded. I cannot explain them properly and how I can even use photography to present them?

Doing a project on something you don’t understand is a great way of coming to terms with it! To try and understand the subject of love I have spent a lot of time researching. I have read lots of articles and books about 'love', 'in love', 'moment', 'forever', 'photography purpose', 'photography records a moment forever’, yet the subject becomes more confusing. Until, I read Roland Barthes' Camera Lucida. He describes the function of photography as ‘That has been’.

"What I see has been here, in this place which extends between infinity and the subject (operator or spectator)." - Roland Barthes.

'That-has-been' is something definitely inside of 'love' and 'in love', whatever 'in love' means. I want to use photography to capture the essence of such a feeling and to tell a story to demonstrate the love existing between a couple. Is that possible? There is one painting I really like - The Arnolfini Portrait, 1434 by Jon von Eyck. I think this is the best image to prove a secular sense of love with so many details. People spend lots of time to trying to discover the meaning of all the objects in this painting. I think this is an excellent way of telling the story. So I would like use the same format to construct my pictures.

I'm looking for volunteers who would like to be involved in the project with me. If you agree to help me with this project, I would appreciate if you can find:
- some old pictures between you and your partner.
- objects which are very memorable, evidence of love.
- any reference you want to address in the pictures (we can discuss that).

If you'd like to discuss this further, please email me back. I look forward to hearing from you.

1 comment:

  1. i'm in love with my two boys. in love is such a broad concept, it can't be just limited to love between two adults....

    ReplyDelete